[U2SC] Up 2 Speed Customs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning curve with a racing wheel!

+2
Lowflyinmx3
Markve91
6 posters

Go down

Learning curve with a racing wheel! Empty Learning curve with a racing wheel!

Post by Markve91 Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:31 pm

So I haven't been on much lately...and I haven't really been able to talk to you all since I never had a mic when I raced..but now I do! But I'd like to just say Hi I'm Mark Smile

Anywho! I took the plunge recently and bought myself some pedals and a wheel(specifically the Fanatec CSR). I was saving up for a while but never really decided if it would be worth the investment, because it is quite alot of money. But compared to racing in real life, its a slight bit cheaper I would assume Razz. But yes, it was definitely worth the investment.

The wheel feels much better than my old used MS wheel that I got dirt cheap from some guy near me on craigslist. The pedals especially feel much more precise and of better quality. It's also nice to have a clutch pedal too. So now onto the topic at hand; the learning curve. There's a seriously huge learning curve going from a controller to a wheel. I've been using a controller since FM3(I never liked the ms wheel mainly because I didnt have the precision with the gas and brake as I did on a controller), and trying a wheel on FM4 is like learning to drive all over again. Never driven a manual in real life because I've never had access to one Sad, so it's definitely fun learning to shift with a pedal.

It definitely wont make me any faster, all my series races so far have been with me on a controller with no assists and manual w/ clutch except for the higher classes when I throw on traction control. And I don't expect to come close to my controller times with this wheel anytime soon, but I'm definitely going to have a hell of a lot of fun learning Smile

Anyone else use a wheel/are thinking of getting one?
Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Learning curve with a racing wheel! Empty Re: Learning curve with a racing wheel!

Post by Lowflyinmx3 Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 am

I dont know about anybody else, but I'm excited to hear this. Now I stand a very slim shot at beating the infamous mark. Let us know how it goes lol. Laughing
Lowflyinmx3
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Back to top Go down

Learning curve with a racing wheel! Empty Re: Learning curve with a racing wheel!

Post by marmuttlebow Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:38 am

To follow Lowfly's sentiment, I too welcome our Fanatec overlords and appreciate the gesture they have bestowed upon us contoller users.

For the short time anyways. Once Mark has this figured out, its all over.
marmuttlebow
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I currently have the MS Wireless Speed Wheel, and it has a higher learning curve too... I have been away from Racing games since my PS2 fried while playing GranTurismo 4 (over 5 years ago), and I played/Finished all of the GT series prior to GT4. I also played PGR and FM on the original Xbox (until it died as well)... That was a little over 5-years ago, and I have always used a controller. That is where my learning curve comes from. I'm getting used to it, but it is difficult to do manual w/clutch on it. Since you are moving the controller it's hard to hit A+X and A+B to shift, and I kept shifting set to the D-Pad (which works better for me and provides a larger target. I'm definitely MUCH smother in corners and on straits, but I am still having trouble with car recovery and getting a feel for the gas/brake pulls. Up until now, I have been switching back to the controller for career, rivals and lobby stuff, but I guess I should just stick with the WSW and force myself to get used to it...

If I can get the wife to sign off on it, I may just have to pick up a Fanatec rig as well. I hit the big 40 this August, so maybe I can use that for leverage. I've also never owned anything other than a manual IRL...

EDIT: OK... So after posting this, I went to the Fanatec site and it looks like a full living room setup (CSR Wheel and Pedal set, shifter set, wheel stand, extra pedal clamp and shifter mount comes to $474.75 (US). I may have to plead with my better half tonight on this one.... Wish me luck!!!! drunken

Last edited by BiggLou55 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding to post...)
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CASH XRS Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:40 pm

hahaha good luck Lou!

Ok so here's my story, firstly congrats on the purchase Mark!! I too have the Fanatec CSR setup. I have had mine for a couple months now. It is definitely a big learning curve, but what I have learned is it's all in the settings of the wheel. If you adjust them to your liking it'll definitely help your learning curve. I still need to work out some kinks but I LOVE using the wheel, you can't beat it.

Btw, Lou, you don't HAVE to get the stand, you could always build your own table for it. I did. Well, my dad helped me out, but we just used an old table top with metal legs. It's not perfect but it certainly does the job for now. And we spent $0 on it. Very Happy There's plenty of youtube videos to get you ideas.

The wheel definitely helps esepcially with the forced feedback. You get a real feel for the car and helps you with limitations. Who else has got one??
CASH XRS
CASH XRS
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:18 pm

I would and could build my own stand, but my wife would kill me... I like the stand because it can be folded and put in a closet when not in use (a definite selling point to my wife...)... Maybe I can squeek out a 24" HDMI monitor for my office and move the Xbox down there? Laughing
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Markve91 Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah I'm definitely tweaking the wheel tuning a lot to try and get it to feel right, still have lots of testing to do with it. Some cars feel good with 900 deg steering, some dont. Ive tried 720, 540, 270 and even sim/norm steering, and its like learning to play forza all over again. It'll take me a while but I hope I can find some settings that I like.

The brake pedal is definitely the biggest plus for me from the old ms wheel. Lots more control over the brake, but driving manual w/clutch with the CSR definitely takes a lot more leg energy than using a controller Razz But I'll probably still always be competitive only on a controller Smile

Hey lou if you can really manage to get the csr setup I say go for it! It definitely makes the game more fun, like cash said though, it'll be all in the settings if it feels a little weird.

Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Post by xraydash Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Congrats, Mike. I envy you and cash!

Knowing I would not be able to justify the fanatec wheel, I too settled for the wireless MS wheel a couple of weeks ago. I was spinning out like crazy at first but now it seems natural. So much so that when I tried switching back to the controller the other night, it felt awful. The twitchy little thumb jerk you have to do for turns is no good! I'm having a hard time matching most of the "near me" rival times set with a controller but I think I have generally caught up to my previous level of mediocrity.
xraydash
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:18 pm

xraydash wrote:Congrats, Mike. I envy you and cash!

Knowing I would not be able to justify the fanatec wheel, I too settled for the wireless MS wheel a couple of weeks ago. I was spinning out like crazy at first but now it seems natural. So much so that when I tried switching back to the controller the other night, it felt awful. The twitchy little thumb jerk you have to do for turns is no good! I'm having a hard time matching most of the "near me" rival times set with a controller but I think I have generally caught up to my previous level of mediocrity.

While I aspire to own the Fanatec kit (as I stated above), I am buckling down with the WSW... That' is all I am going to race with moving forward... I expect to be in the ditches and sand traps more than on the track tomorrow night...

Marm.... You are almost guaranteed to beat my time tomorrow night... Advice and all! Wink

Xray... how is your shifting set up? Same as the controller (a+x and A+b) or are you using the D-pad?
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xraydash Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:Xray... how is your shifting set up? Same as the controller (a+x and A+b) or are you using the D-pad?
Same as I used on the controller, manual clutch with a+x / a+b. It looks like it would be awkward but that was actually one of the smoother transitions for me for whatever reason.
xraydash
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down