[U2SC] Up 2 Speed Customs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox Live connection issues...

3 posters

Go down

Xbox Live connection issues... Empty Xbox Live connection issues...

Post by BiggLou55 Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Quite a few of us have been having issues with Xbox Live disconnects and trouble joining lobbies. I was one of those until I stopped being lazy (I'm and IT guy by trade) and fixed it. There are a couple of ways that will fix the issue. Choosing the one you use is up to you...

I know that a lot of you are not all that technical, so please bare with me here. I'll try and keep it as non-tech or as easy as I can...

The first (the one I used) is to forward Port 3074 (UDP and TCP) to my Xbox IP Address... I actually have my Xbox set up with a static IP address (does not get an IP via DHCP)... If your Xbox is set to automatically get an IP address then it will may get a different IP every time it powers on. To avoid this, you can set a static IP. If you are not comfortable with that, then the second option may be better for you.

The second option is to just simply turn on Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) at your Wireless router (most routers have this capability). Once you turn it on, you may have to reboot all of your connected devices (desktops, laptops, iPhone, iPad, etc.). If you have ANY isseus connecting after turning UPnP on, just turn it back off...

Follow this link to the Xbox support page for fixing the issues: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict
The support page above also has links to other how-to guides and support pages.

Please remember to ONLY FORWARD PORT 3074 to your Xbox. The other ports listed on the support page are utilized by Computers and Mobile devices (iPhones, etc.). If you forward port 80, 88 and 52 to your Xbox, your computer, phones and other things connected to your Wireless network may and most likely will have issues (Port 80 is what ALL devices use for web browsing BTW).

If you need any help, please let me know via PM or in this thread and I'll hopefully be able to answer you questions....
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Xbox Live connection issues... Empty Re: Xbox Live connection issues...

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:08 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:The first (the one I used) is to forward Port 3074 (UDP and TCP) to my Xbox IP Address... I actually have my Xbox set up with a static IP address (does not get an IP via DHCP)...
I thought you said you would keep it as non technical as possible... Very Happy Laughing
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42
I-AM-SPAMMER (Lou's Elite!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowflyinmx3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:10 pm

I feel smarter just reading it.
Lowflyinmx3
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Lowflyinmx3 wrote:I feel smarter just reading it.
I find it had the opposite effect on me... I have no clue what a port 88 DHC IP whatever the heck he called it is... Very Happy
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowflyinmx3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:16 pm

beefsupreme42 wrote:
Lowflyinmx3 wrote:I feel smarter just reading it.
I find it had the opposite effect on me... I have no clue what a port 88 DHC IP whatever the heck he called it is... Very Happy
Dude its simple. If you turn your x box on, suzy will have a basket of apples ready in bosnia. You then wait for the hedge hog to go for a swim in the atlantic ocean before you board the mono rail leaving detroit. Once you enter into china airspace, you should be a millionaire. Got it? Good!
Lowflyinmx3
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Lowflyinmx3 wrote: Dude its simple. If you turn your x box on, suzy will have a basket of apples ready in bosnia. You then wait for the hedge hog to go for a swim in the atlantic ocean before you board the mono rail leaving detroit. Once you enter into china airspace, you should be a millionaire. Got it? Good!
woah, I had no clue it could be that simple... just 1 question, did suzy get the apples from ecuador or laos?
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowflyinmx3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:22 pm

beefsupreme42 wrote:
Lowflyinmx3 wrote: Dude its simple. If you turn your x box on, suzy will have a basket of apples ready in bosnia. You then wait for the hedge hog to go for a swim in the atlantic ocean before you board the mono rail leaving detroit. Once you enter into china airspace, you should be a millionaire. Got it? Good!
woah, I had no clue it could be that simple... just 1 question, did suzy get the apples from ecuador or laos?
Neither, special order from jamaica. Nice attention to detail.
Lowflyinmx3
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:48 pm

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol....

WTF does that mean? It means when you turn you computer, xbox or any other connected device on, it gets and address automatically from the server or router. Without the Address (IP Address), your device cannot talk to any other device. Think of it as a phone number. No phone number, no worky.... Razz

Think of Ports as holes or channels. Envision one of the old switchboard operator consoles. You know the ones with all the plugs and cables. Each plug is a "port". The ports are used by the different programs on your computers, smart phones, consoles, etc. to speak to other devices on the internet or home network. Certain ports are reserved for certain "services". Ports 80, 8080 are reserved for HTML (web site) traffic. Port 53 is reserved for DNS (Domain Name Services).

HTML = HyperText Markup Language... It's what every web page runs on...

DNS = Simply put, it's how your computer know where to go. When you type in www.xbox.com, your computer uses DNS to figure out where to find it. DNS take www.xbox.com and converts it to an IP Address with tells your browser right where to go!

If you forward Ports 80, 8080, and 53 to just your Xbox, all other computers, smart phones, consoles or any other device that relies on the internet at your house may stop working properly. How? The will seem to not be able to connect to anything on the internet. Your application will still work, but more than likely everything on the internet will be unreachable. Why? Because your Xbox has those ports reserved....

If you are curious and want to see what ports do what, check this out.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Oh and what is TCP and UDP? Think of it lilke using a phone or shouting.

TCP is guaranteed delivery of information. Think of it as using your phone to call someone. You know THEIR phone will ring and only their phone...

UDP is just like shouting... You yell out their name and the message and hope they hear you! Well, it's a little more precise than that, but you get the picture!

Now... give your brains a rest! Very Happy
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm

thats much easier for me to understand Very Happy
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 pm

I had to take my tech hat off for that one... Just like it hurt for you to read the more technical description, it's really hard to explain it when there is very little understanding (not a bad thing BTW - I sometimes wish I don't know how this all works)... I work with IT people, and most of my RL friends are either IT as well or I've educated to the point they understand my geek speak or just get the F out of the way and let me fix it for them! LOL
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm

BiggLou55 wrote: it's really hard to explain it when there is very little understanding
wait a minute, did you just call me stupid??? Very Happy jocolor
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 pm

I just noticed how hilarious that last post looks with my signature... Laughing
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 pm

beefsupreme42 wrote:I just noticed how hilarious that last post looks with my signature... Laughing

LOL... It does, and yes I did (as far as computer stuff goes)... Razz jocolor scratch geek
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:06 pm

BiggLou55 wrote: yes I did (as far as computer stuff goes)... Razz jocolor scratch geek
haha, agreed. I am technological incompetent Very Happy
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down