Windows 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 8

Post by BiggLou55 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm

So... I upgraded my home system (MSI GE-70 Gaming Laptop) to Windows 8 over the weekend. I have to say that I'm actually liking it. I'm still feeling it out, but for the most part it really works... I might even have to invest in one of the Windows 8 RT convertible tablets in the spring (the one from Microsoft looks line the best one right now)....

Anyone else upgrade yet?

BTW... If you are running Windows 7 or Windows Vista, the Windows 8 Pro upgrade is only $39.99... Wink

My Video Library (thread) - In the Pits with Bigglou55 (YouTube)
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows 8

Post by nubrocket on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 pm

I upgraded my laptop. I've had a Windows phone 7 for years (recently upgraded to Windows Phone 8 ) and it was the first phone...well, ever, that I didn't hate. As such, I felt more or less at home in Windows 8. I especially love how fast it boots up. Holy smokes.

There are some annoyances that I have to work through. The Calendar app can't pull in shared Google calendars and there is no work around. I can't resize the inbox pane in the mail app and that drives me CRAZY. Lastly, I can't get Google Chrome to stay on my start page without attempting a currently unknown hacky workaround that won't work anyway.

Maps is great, but unlike it's webpage counter-part, you can't text addresses or directions to your phone. Why!? It feels like you want me to rely on my browser less, so...make it happen! Make the app do everything the webpage can. Jerks.

Smartglass is awesome, I like having it running when I'm in Horizon. I find the mouse actions "fun", though sometimes I find myself down-swiping standard desktop apps and actually thinking I closed them. I feel like an idiot later when I find a stack of windows barely visible on the bottom of my screen.

marmuttlebow wrote:Although I was banging everybody
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Yeah.... Smartglass in Horizon is pretty Hot!

I'm not having the Google Chrome issue though... It's staying on my start page, and hasn't given me any issues...

I agree the Mail app is a bit spartan, but it works... My beef is that it connects to external exchange services as a Mobile device, which prompts for different security rules, so I still need to utilize Exchange via IE when I work from home (and don't want to use my work laptop)...

One other gripe is you have to purchase a separate 3rd part application to play DVD/BluRay discs... WTF? Give me a decoder built into Windows 8 Pro.. Leave it out of the RT version! Not that I watch movies off of disc much anymore on my laptop (I mostly decode and rip to MP4 then watch), but it's a nice-to-have....

All in all, I like Windows 8. It'll take a little time to completely adjust, and I love the addition of the Apps marketplace... Hopefully some more usable apps appear... Wink

BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:Hopefully some more usable apps appear... Wink

Been saying that about my Windows Phone for 2.5 years. Everybody else gets the hot shit, but I get TO UNLOCK XBOX ACHIEVEMENTS WITH MY MOBILE GAMES. EAT THAT!

nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by marmuttlebow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Where's the love for Win98?
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 pm

SE 4 LIFE.

nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:14 pm

nubrocket wrote:SE 4 LIFE.
LOL... 98SE will go down as one of the longest running GUI based versions in history.... XP as well... While ME will go down as one of the worst OS's ever, along with Apple's PowerPC and OS2.... Wink

BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top