[U2SC] Up 2 Speed Customs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Far Cry 3

+4
BiggLou55
nubrocket
xraydash
shinnsoon
8 posters

Go down

Far Cry 3 Empty Far Cry 3

Post by shinnsoon Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:06 am

"Do you know the meaning of insanity?"

Sadly, this has become pretty clichéd now, but what the hell. Just got my Far Cry 3 Insane Edition! Been looking forward to this for a long time. Got my Vaas wahine (bobblehead) taunting me on my desk. Why is the day's end so far away?

It seems another publisher is in the process of doing away with game manuals. I suppose I have to give Ubisoft credit for at least including a booklet with the controls and a full colour ad of the wonderful world that is Uplay. My favourite part is on page 1: "The instruction manual for this game is conveniently embedded within the game itself." I just love how they make it sound like they're doing you a favour when they're actually depriving you of something.

So, is anyone else getting this? Interested? Anything?
shinnsoon
shinnsoon
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Far Cry 3 Empty Re: Far Cry 3

Post by xraydash Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm not familiar with this series but I see the new one is getting mostly rave reviews. You like it, shin?
xraydash
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:52 pm

I never got into this, either. 1 & 2 seemed to be more of an epeen benchmark utility for PC gamers while I already had plenty of shooters to keep myself busy with. You're right, though, that 3 has been getting good press and seems to be going over quite well. Let us know what you think as you play through it!
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:53 pm

I played the original Far Cry way back in the day... It was groundbreaking with it's dynamic physics and lighting, which is now standard in all FPS games today. I might have to give it a try. Maybe it will provide the much needed console FPS training I need! Wink
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sniper 213 Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm

I have Far Cry 2 and Far Cry Predator. Both great games. Very good RPG, open world games.
Red Sniper 213
Red Sniper 213
Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by shinnsoon Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:23 pm

This island is insane. One moment we're laughing and having fun and the next we're trapped in cages by some scarred psycho and his pirate buddies. I managed to escape, and now I'm just trying to survive and find my friends. Even so, it's almost impossible not to be seduced into wandering around simply exploring the wrecks and caves and temple ruins. The only problem is one of those wrecks was apparently a ship transporting exotic animals, because leopards, mountain lions, tigers, bears, komodo dragons, dingos and these crazily aggressive flightless birds are constantly skulking around in the jungle. The predators aren't particularly picky when it comes to diet - they'll just as soon hunt wild boar as pirates and hapless explorers.

Which is why I carry a gun. Preferably several guns. There are many to choose from if you have the funds, ranging from handguns all the way through to RPGs. And because this isn't Africa, the guns don't rust and fall apart after you pull the trigger five times. Whatever. Weapons can be modified, by adding silencers and scopes, and further customised with paint schemes or camo. I have developed a particular fondness for the bow, even more so now that I've learned to craft incendiary and explosive arrows. There's an uncanny stillness watching flames rushing further along the grass, leaping into trees or buildings, leaving only a smouldering blackness in its wake. I stare at the dancing pirates, marionettes that slow and drop onto the ash when their strings get cut. Oh yes, I have learned to kill.

It's best to stay in the jungle when you move around - as long as you watch for animals - because you never know when a patrol might come along the road. Still, I just have to steal a quadbike if I come across one. Even though it's stupid and risky, it kind of restores me, you know? And some of these trails are excellent. On the water you need a boat or a jetski. This I found out when I took a glider and had to bail over the ocean. I was still trying to get up to the surface when a shark nearly took my arm off. Everything's out to get you here.

But things are looking up, I guess. I'm helping the Rakyat people retake the island from the pirates. They're okay. Sure love their tattoos. They're inking me up as I prove myself. Yeah, I'm not really sure how long I've been here, but I'm not who I used to be. I've learned you can change pretty quickly when your world gets ripped apart.

[Talk about getting carried away Very Happy But it's really good. I've only really played the singleplayer so far. There's also multiplayer, of course, and then a very promising co-op, featuring a separate story.]
shinnsoon
shinnsoon
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by joekorn Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Nice shin, think Ubisoft would hire you if they read that. I have been very intrigued by it as well, will certainly check it out sometime.

Would you say it is something of a modern, tropical Skyrim/Oblivion type game? Maybe a better, beefed up version of Just Cause? Just trying to decide how long I can wait before buying it Very Happy
joekorn
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I may have to give this one a try.... Problem is that I barely have time to play Forza right now and it's the ONLY game I play (along with Horizon, but I run there for about 1 hour over a week)...
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm

I agree with Joe, that write-up makes me want to play. Are the stories of 1 & 2 significant or can you jump right into 3?
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by WHY Y0U MAD BRO Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I've had it for a few weeks now (don't ask) and it is extremely addicting at first but after about 20 hours into the game I just kind of got bored with it. I think my Forza addiction is worse, which is probably why I stopped playing. I will eventually get back to it though. It is a great game and is a lot better than 1 and 2.

WHY Y0U MAD BRO
Senior Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FraidKn0t Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:09 pm

I've never played any of the far cry series, but I just picked this up on my game fly account and all I can say is wow! I can't put the damn thing down. It is definitely worth a try if you're remotely interested in open world and or FPS games
FraidKn0t
FraidKn0t
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by shinnsoon Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 am

Thanks, Joe and nub Very Happy

None of the Far Cry games have any connection to each other, be it character or story-wise.

Far Cry 3 is not unlike Skyrim in many respects.

It's not really an RPG, but you get XP which you can spend on skills. You can tailor your character, but there's an achievement to get every skill, so if you get enough XP you can eventually unlock all skills. This is reflected on the growing tattoo on your left arm. But it's a genuine shooter, so your aim determines where your bullets go.

The open world is the best I've seen, compared to Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Far Cry 2. It's really well designed with lots of attention to detail. It feels very natural and flowing. It's great to explore, if you like that kind of thing. There's always something interesting. The roads are fun to drive, and unlike FC2 you can enjoy it because the enemies don't respawn as soon as you go over a hill. There are plants to harvest (for crafting syringes) and animals to hunt (for fun/missions/crafting).

The shooting mechanics are solid and all the weapon classes are fun to use, from my beloved bow through SMGs, RPGs and planting C4. And you are absolutely free to approach shootouts the way you want, which is great. I typically spend a while scouting out an outpost with my camera, marking enemies. I sneak in, taking out enemies silently. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If it doesn't, it erupts into a fantastic cacophony of bullets and explosions. It's just as much fun using takedowns and silenced weapons as the flamethrower and grenades and aiming for gas tanks. Sometimes they have wild animals in cages and if you shoot the cage, a tiger can be a great ally. There's just a lot of freedom in how you can play and every way feels well supported.

Also, you get a lot of game. I've played more than 30 hours according to the stats menu and I'm still on the northern island.

So I sound like a fanboy and I'm not happy about it. But the truth is, apart from some seriously random side missions (and Uplay refusing to load from the in-game menu thereby depriving me of downloading the Xbox theme), I have nothing bad to say about the game so far. And Vaas has to be one of the best video game characters yet.
shinnsoon
shinnsoon
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum