Kids and Toys....big kids too

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by swviper on Thu May 03, 2012 12:52 pm

First off, for the 'Fathers' ...and 'Fathers to be'....



...not entirely true, but still funny. I've never completely stopped being a kid, I have a ridiculous HotWheels collection for an adult, a small Lego Minifig collection, and other various 'toys' smattered around my desk. My kids are 7 and 5...and between the 3 of us, we have a pretty awesome collection of Lego (and Lego is f'ing awesome now btw). A while ago, I decided to see if I could get my kids into slot car racing, so I bought a Scalextric 'Start' set...which was okay, but not really great. Only 2 cars at a time, 3 of us couldn't all play together, cars were 'meh'...pretty short track. So last month I 'upgraded' "us" to a Scalextric Digital set. 4 car racing at one time, multiple lane change tracks and options, and the cars are....wow...have a look....











Really incredible details...tow hook, real mesh, all the markings you would expect to find on real race car.

...if the wife ever figures this out, for sure I'm ending up divorced Very Happy There's a Falken GT40, and a Porsche GT3 in the mix as well, and those are 'owned' by the kids...they choose what they wanted, and can bash 'em all they like without dad getting upset.
The point? ..have kids, and enjoy being a kid with them!
avatar
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Posts : 910
Join date : 2012-03-06
Age : 46
Location : ON CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 pm

+1 on this one!!

I actually sold the wife on the Xbox by throwing in the Kinnect and some kids games (see my recent games list LOL).....

Even though I have 2 girls (4 and 5), it's still fun... I'm trying to get them into Legos, but so far I have not been successful... But... I'm still trying... Maybe I should just go get some. Now that my youngest is 4 and no longer "eating" various small objects, I think it's time!
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by swviper on Thu May 03, 2012 1:17 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:+1 on this one!!

I actually sold the wife on the Xbox by throwing in the Kinnect and some kids games (see my recent games list LOL).....

Even though I have 2 girls (4 and 5), it's still fun... I'm trying to get them into Legos, but so far I have not been successful... But... I'm still trying... Maybe I should just go get some. Now that my youngest is 4 and no longer "eating" various small objects, I think it's time!

They actually have a line of Lego aimed at girls now....which is AWESOME imo cuz it gets girls into an 'engineering' mind space instead of a 'shopping' mindspace (Barbie)

http://friends.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

My son even has one of the Lego Friends sets...don't care, still building, still problem solving. My son has been playing with Lego basically since, as you point out, he stopped putting stuff in his mouth. Age ratings on toys depend on the kid...if you think your kids can be safe with a toy with an older age rating, sometimes it's worth dipping into that pool. My 5 year old builds lego kits (on his own) that have an age rating of 7-12.
avatar
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Posts : 910
Join date : 2012-03-06
Age : 46
Location : ON CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by joekorn on Thu May 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Nice stuff viper! And yeah, absolutely. I can't wait until my boys get old enough so I can buy all kinds of fun stuff 'for them'.
avatar
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 438
Join date : 2012-03-08
Location : Indianapolis

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by marmuttlebow on Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I r Jeolousy!

No toys for me. No $$$ for any toys these days. But hopefully that time comes.

What's funny is when my boy gets toys, I'm playing with 'em more than he does. But there's only so much you can do with Hungry Hippos.
avatar
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 2547
Join date : 2012-03-02
Location : Toronto, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by xraydash on Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm

We've got pounds and pounds of legos at my house, including girlie sets and my own "space legos" from when I was a kid. My twin boys are older than your kids (13) so they only drag them out every now and then. However, they play the piss out of Minecraft, which is basically a block building PC and IOS game. My girl (7) likes legos too but she hangs out with her brothers a lot of the time so doesn't play with toys very often. She is also a Minecraft junkie.

Your slot cars look awesome! Maybe I should look into those...

My wife's favorite joke, aimed squarely at my Forza obsession, is "I can see why it's called an EX-box!"

avatar
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 798
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Covington, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Thu May 03, 2012 4:47 pm

xraydash wrote:....My wife's favorite joke, aimed squarely at my Forza obsession, is "I can see why it's called an EX-box!"

You and I seem to have the same problem!!!! Very Happy Does your's take pictures of you while you are playing and laugh at you? Shocked
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by xraydash on Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:
xraydash wrote:....My wife's favorite joke, aimed squarely at my Forza obsession, is "I can see why it's called an EX-box!"

You and I seem to have the same problem!!!! Very Happy Does your's take pictures of you while you are playing and laugh at you? Shocked
Thankfully, no. Just the occasional snide comment and eye rolling. The only time she got really annoyed with me was when I went a little off the deep end trying to beat Montoya's time for a unicorn. I told her about your incident and her sympathies were definitely with the wrong party!
avatar
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 798
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Covington, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Thu May 03, 2012 7:06 pm

xraydash wrote:
BiggLou55 wrote:
xraydash wrote:....My wife's favorite joke, aimed squarely at my Forza obsession, is "I can see why it's called an EX-box!"

You and I seem to have the same problem!!!! Very Happy Does your's take pictures of you while you are playing and laugh at you? Shocked
Thankfully, no. Just the occasional snide comment and eye rolling. The only time she got really annoyed with me was when I went a little off the deep end trying to beat Montoya's time for a unicorn. I told her about your incident and her sympathies were definitely with the wrong party!

Uhto... She now has the idea in her head... What out if you play when she's mad or upset with you.... Very Happy
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by Lowflyinmx3 on Thu May 03, 2012 7:20 pm

My wife makes vroom vroom noises and pats me on the head. what really sucks is if I'm doing a series race with you guys, she'll walk in front of the screen with very little on....now how the hell am I suppose to concentrate when that happens.
avatar
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Posts : 1293
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 31
Location : The tree outside your window.......

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by xraydash on Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Lowflyinmx3 wrote:she'll walk in front of the screen with very little on....now how the hell am I suppose to concentrate when that happens.

Shocked Lou, you need to plant this idea in your wife's head! bounce
avatar
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 798
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Covington, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:07 pm

xraydash wrote:
Lowflyinmx3 wrote:she'll walk in front of the screen with very little on....now how the hell am I suppose to concentrate when that happens.

Shocked Lou, you need to plant this idea in your wife's head! bounce

Not to go into detail, but I think my wife and Low's must be friends on Facebook or something.... LOL...
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by Wa11y on Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Nice post. I like the toys. My kids gave me an XBox (ulterior motives I think) for Christmas about 6 years ago. I got to play with it sometimes, when they get older they started taking over stuff. If you wonder why I may not respond on XBox that is because it is not me sometimes. It's funny when my daughter's friends send her a message and find out it's her dad, they don't do that anymore. I think my wife gave up with five children (two girls, two boys and dad) playing on the XBox. Sometimes she just sits next to me doesn't say much of anything about it anymore - I think we wore her down. Mostly she goes to bed by 9 so no problem. She's put up with my toys for 29 years now. I have a collection of some of these GI Joe Elite. Most of them are still in the box. I have a 1/6 scale Bradley fighting vehicle, two WWII Harley-Davidsons, one boxed the other unboxed plus other 1/6 scale action figures. Some are historical figures. Those are off limit. The interesting thing is that my youngest daughter has shown more interest in my Joe's than my boys. She'll inherit the collection probably. When I have grandchildren someday I'll have some action figures available to them.


Last edited by Wa11y on Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Wa11y
Century Forum Member

Posts : 204
Join date : 2012-03-09
Age : 62
Location : Earth - USA - MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by Lowflyinmx3 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:29 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:
xraydash wrote:
Lowflyinmx3 wrote:she'll walk in front of the screen with very little on....now how the hell am I suppose to concentrate when that happens.

Shocked Lou, you need to plant this idea in your wife's head! bounce

Not to go into detail, but I think my wife and Low's must be friends on Facebook or something.... LOL...
yeah if you ever see my car against a walk and get no response from my mic, that probably means she eliminated the last articles of clothing lol.
avatar
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Posts : 1293
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 31
Location : The tree outside your window.......

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by Wa11y on Fri May 04, 2012 3:24 am

Now that the kids are older they buy their own toys and if I am lucky I can play with them.



This has a 355 in it. My oldest sons car. His girlfriend is a car enthusiast - I like that.



This is my youngest sons car that he is fixing up. I've only seen it in pictures since he is on the West Coast.
avatar
Wa11y
Century Forum Member

Posts : 204
Join date : 2012-03-09
Age : 62
Location : Earth - USA - MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by CASH XRS on Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Awesome stuff guys. As you all know, not married yet, which means no kids lol. But I plan on being like you guys once I have kids (pray to God at least ONE boy lol). I figure he will be into sports but I would love for him to get involved in cars. My ultimate goal is to find a 56 Chevy 210/Bel Air and fix it up as a sweet family cruiser. This will probably happen right around my future kids being old enough to help, so I'm hoping they catch the bug Smile. By the way, Low and Lou, jealous of your situations lol. Jen is in the same room as me when I race with you guys (which happens to be my bedroom) but she just goes to sleep hahaha.
avatar
CASH XRS
Junior Forum Spammer

Posts : 433
Join date : 2012-03-05
Age : 29
Location : Philadelphia, PA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 pm

CASH XRS wrote:Awesome stuff guys. As you all know, not married yet, which means no kids lol. But I plan on being like you guys once I have kids (pray to God at least ONE boy lol). I figure he will be into sports but I would love for him to get involved in cars. My ultimate goal is to find a 56 Chevy 210/Bel Air and fix it up as a sweet family cruiser. This will probably happen right around my future kids being old enough to help, so I'm hoping they catch the bug Smile. By the way, Low and Lou, jealous of your situations lol. Jen is in the same room as me when I race with you guys (which happens to be my bedroom) but she just goes to sleep hahaha.

You don't need a boy for them to be into sports and cars.... Both of my girls love sports (soccer, hockey and even asking questions about golf).... They also love cars and motorcycles... Boys are expected to be into cars and sports (for the most part), but girls who love both are a rare breed... Wink They also love their dolls and girly stuff of course, but I keep them interested in all things auto, hockey and soccer... Very Happy
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by CASH XRS on Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:
CASH XRS wrote:Awesome stuff guys. As you all know, not married yet, which means no kids lol. But I plan on being like you guys once I have kids (pray to God at least ONE boy lol). I figure he will be into sports but I would love for him to get involved in cars. My ultimate goal is to find a 56 Chevy 210/Bel Air and fix it up as a sweet family cruiser. This will probably happen right around my future kids being old enough to help, so I'm hoping they catch the bug Smile. By the way, Low and Lou, jealous of your situations lol. Jen is in the same room as me when I race with you guys (which happens to be my bedroom) but she just goes to sleep hahaha.

You don't need a boy for them to be into sports and cars.... Both of my girls love sports (soccer, hockey and even asking questions about golf).... They also love cars and motorcycles... Boys are expected to be into cars and sports (for the most part), but girls who love both are a rare breed... Wink They also love their dolls and girly stuff of course, but I keep them interested in all things auto, hockey and soccer... Very Happy

Keep it going then!! lol. And I know girls can be into both, I just know Jen is going to do her damndest to make our future daughter (if we have one) a cheerleader/dancer/gymanst lol. That's always been her dream. I guess we each get our own? lol.
avatar
CASH XRS
Junior Forum Spammer

Posts : 433
Join date : 2012-03-05
Age : 29
Location : Philadelphia, PA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Fri May 04, 2012 3:48 pm

Funny thing about kids.... They like what they like... You could have a boy who wants to be a cheerleader and gymnast! Wink
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by swviper on Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:Funny thing about kids.... They like what they like... You could have a boy who wants to be a cheerleader and gymnast! Wink

Yep! My daughter is more into sports than I am. Neither me or the wife is into sports, but our daughter loves all things 'sports'. My son I may as well have named 'Mini-me' cuz he's less into sports, more into cars, building stuff...and his bike.
avatar
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Posts : 910
Join date : 2012-03-06
Age : 46
Location : ON CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by swviper on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:21 pm

So I'm in the process of 'refinishing' our basement, and the first step was to build a bedroom. So, pretty much done, and I thought me and my son would turn it into a temporary 'RaceRoom' Very Happy

avatar
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Posts : 910
Join date : 2012-03-06
Age : 46
Location : ON CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Nice Work Viper... Both the track AND the drywall look good... Did you hang, mud and tape it?

_________________

My Video Library (thread) - In the Pits with Bigglou55 (YouTube)
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by swviper on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:08 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:Nice Work Viper... Both the track AND the drywall look good... Did you hang, mud and tape it?

Yeah...the upside down 'T' 2x4 there I put together, so the wife could help me hold up the ceiling parts. I'm nervous about priming it, will see all the areas I missed, or didn't get quite right...but will have to touch them up, cuz right now it looks decent enough to move on. Am on vacation next week, so will hit it with the primer at some point.
avatar
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Posts : 910
Join date : 2012-03-06
Age : 46
Location : ON CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by BiggLou55 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:29 pm

just remember 2 things...

1. You are your own worst critic. IF the wife gives the thumbs up, move on.

2. You can always do a skim or parge coat of joint compound over the walls to give it that stucco look, and then it won't matter. Texture = good at covering up imperfection! Very Happy

_________________

My Video Library (thread) - In the Pits with Bigglou55 (YouTube)
avatar
BiggLou55
Club Co-Leader

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 45
Location : Nashville, TN - USA

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Kids and Toys....big kids too

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum