[U2SC] Up 2 Speed Customs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We've seen your mug... now post your job

+10
Wa11y
beefsupreme42
Lowflyinmx3
Markve91
marmuttlebow
xXhpi racingXx
xII CASE IIx
BiggLou55
xraydash
FraidKn0t
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

We've seen your mug... now post your job - Page 2 Empty Re: We've seen your mug... now post your job

Post by B08MATH Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 am

I'm in a Walmart distribution center and currently looking to get into management. I will be going back to school this summer for business management. Before that I worked for an R.V./Travel Trailer manufacturer for 8 years till the economy took a big hit.....Layoff.
B08MATH
B08MATH
Century Forum Member

Back to top Go down

We've seen your mug... now post your job - Page 2 Empty Re: We've seen your mug... now post your job

Post by joekorn Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:29 am

Interesting, looks like we have a lot of bright and ambitious people here. Wally - have to start by saying thank you for your service!!

I went to college to party and play baseball, and my pre-med ambitions payed the price for it. Ended up with a degree in Psychology (minor in Sports Medicine), quickly realized I hated about every job in that field, so went to grad school at Florida State on a full ride in Sports Management.

After graduating I continued my coaching career, working my way up to a pitching coach position at Butler U. here in Indy. Started to become clear that the time commitment and crappy pay were not a great fit for a long-term career, so I left athletics and took an entry level job at Airtran Airways. I became a manager with Airtran six months later, and eventually left to help run a private aviation company. Once the twins arrived and I was forced to face the harsh reality of day care costs for two infants, I quit my 24/7, high stress job to take on the 24/7, kinda high stress job of staying at home with them.

I've been seriously considering going back to school, first toyed with the idea of astronautical engineering, but scrapped that when the government shifted the space program to the private sector. I would really love to get a degree in genetic engineering, but so far have felt the time/cost factors are just a little too much. I'm still trying to figure out what direction to take, want to get a plan in place soon since the boys are nearing school age, so I welcome any thoughts, suggestions, job offers, etc. Very Happy

Sorry for writing a book here, but wanted to illustrate to the younger guys that you can always switch careers, and that life tends to take you in some unexpected directions. And now I lost my train of thought, big explosion about a block or two south of us. Everything fine here though.
joekorn
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Wa11y Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:03 am

joekorn wrote:Once the twins arrived and I was forced to face the harsh reality of day care costs for two infants, I quit my 24/7, high stress job to take on the 24/7, kinda high stress job of staying at home with them.

Joe you're my hero. One of the things I've learned is that jobs will come and go, and when you go no one will miss you. You can't say that with family. As you can imagine, or maybe you can't, I've met thousands of young men and women and have heard a lot of stories about fathers who weren't there for them for one reason or another. These stories helped me to think or wonder what kind of father I am. What stories will my children tell about me when they are grown? My two daughters, young women, still call me daddy. It'd be kind of weird for my sons to call me daddy but they are fine young men. Job's are important and hopefully you can find an occupation you love. Being a good dad is the best job you'll ever have.
Wa11y
Wa11y
Century Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by joekorn Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Wally - thanks man, really puts it in perspective. The first year or so was an extremely difficult adjustment for me, but now I'm glad I did it.

Also, here is the explosion I referenced at the end of my last post. Was about 2 miles away, and I was able to feel the shockwave go through me as I was typing.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/11/us/indiana-houses-explode/index.html
joekorn
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Glad you are OK Joe!

One note on the Genetic Engineering idea... There is a problem in that industry right now, and it's due to the big corporations putting genetically engineered products on the market with the idea of cornering the market and not making foods better.. Monsanto is the biggest of these companies, and they are under no law or obligation to test for human consumption. They are also pretty much in control of the FDA and USDA... You can find a lot of information online about it. They also work to squash and silence (politically and financially) most of the studies and geneticists that work to disprove their own internal studies.

Aeronautical Engineering is the way to go man... Even though it's been privatized, it's still a great field.... You can also apply that degree to the automotive, locomotive electromotive, and hydro-motive fields... Wink
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:37 pm

joekorn wrote:
Also, here is the explosion I referenced at the end of my last post. Was about 2 miles away, and I was able to feel the shockwave go through me as I was typing.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/11/us/indiana-houses-explode/index.html
Holy cow! I saw that come up on reddit. I had no idea a clubbie was nearby! That is terrifying and I'm glad to hear you and yours are ok.
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by marmuttlebow Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Glad to hear you're alright Joe.

Saw the photos yesterday (didn't read this thread) and when I saw Indy, thought of you. Saw you were playing on the 360 last night so I figured all was well. LOL

As for changing careers, I've done it. Glad I did.

Just a word of advice, stay the hell out of manufacturing. I don't know if you've seen the show "how do they make it" (or something to that effect). While it's cool seeing how they manufacture stuff, just take a moment and think about it. Yeah, it's cool to design the machinery that does whatever. But think of how long the company will keep that tooling. As long as possible. Which means you'll be staring at the same damn machine making the same damn part for god knows how long.
marmuttlebow
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by joekorn Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Yeah, something like that really leaves its mark. Just sitting around home and boom! Could've been next door, and they don't even know why it happened yet. I was concerned when I heard the explosion, knew it was pretty big. When I felt the shockwave a second or two later though, immediately grabbed my phone and ran into the boys' room. In my mind it went from gas leak/industrial accident to potential bomb pretty quickly. Can't imagine a gas explosion sending out that kind of energy such a great distance, seems like it would take something much more dense to produce that kind of percussive force. Will be interesting to see what they call it.
joekorn
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by marmuttlebow Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Meth lab?
marmuttlebow
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:40 pm

marmuttlebow wrote:Meth lab?

That makes sense actually... Either that or it was someone or some group messing with high explosives... Natural gas settles in the lowest points and there is a pretty pungent odor (added sulfur after some historic explosions)....
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joekorn Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the advice Marm, I would like to avoid manufacturing if possible. Have a lot more research to do, want to make sure I choose well since it's going to take a huge commitment. Ideally I would find something with a more 'active' component, I'll sit at a desk all day if need be, but that's not a great fit for my personality/preferences.
joekorn
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by marmuttlebow Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:47 pm

How 'bout something in the medical field/ rehab?  There's a much more active component.  But beware, I'm sure you'd have to deal with old folks too.  However, at this point, I'm just talking out of my ass.  Since you were a baseball coach, I figured sports rehab/ therapy might be up your alley.  dunno 'bout pay.  Then again, I jumped ship, took a pay cut, but am much happier. 

As Wally alluded to earlier, where I am now I can get family time.  This company respects that. 

I can tell you I went into Mechanical Eng cuz I loved cars.  Well, after working in automotive manufacturing, I have since shunned everything automotive.  But that's me.  Some folks love it.  I've got classmates that still enjoy doing what they do.  It just wasn't for me.

marmuttlebow
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by joekorn Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:53 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:
marmuttlebow wrote:Meth lab?

That makes sense actually... Either that or it was someone or some group messing with high explosives... Natural gas settles in the lowest points and there is a pretty pungent odor (added sulfur after some historic explosions)....

Although it doesn't exactly fit the neighborhood, certainly can't rule it out. Many strange details emerging. Seems both houses may have been owned by the same person? And one was empty, for sale by owner. Have to think people would notice unusual level of activity for an empty house if it was a meth lab. Have a suspicion they were storing something that had no business being there. People in the neighborhood noted that gas odors were not present before or after. Going out on a limb I'm guessing they were either storing materials for a meth lab somewhere else, or God help us they were stockpiling ammonium nitrate. Hope I'm wrong and it was just a gas leak.

Note: May be standard, but interesting that ATF was on the scene very, very quickly as were 'other government agencies'.

Last edited by joekorn on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
joekorn
joekorn
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by marmuttlebow Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 pm

They wanted really really green lawns?
marmuttlebow
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm

The fact that they were empty, lends more to the Meth Lab or other illegal activity... Squatters target empty homes...

I work with a woman who still owns a house in Florida, and was about to rent it to her cousin... She got a call from her daughter that there was someone living in the house... Ends up they were squatters that moved in furniture and all. They were even using and taking care of the pool... Ends up, she had to go through the county and evict them (30-days), even though they were there illegally. Why? Because they said they had a lease agreement on the house, and most state's laws are written to protect the occupants for unlawful eviction. The laws usually do not have protections for owners from squatters...

Oh... It ends up that their security system was down due to a dead battery...

My point.... Her neighbors "thought" they were her cousin or that she had rented the house out, so they didn't think twice about it.... CRAZY!!!
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sniper 213 Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:33 pm

I go to high school during the day. I will be a lot boy in the Summer for my grandfather's car dealership. Good first job I think.
Red Sniper 213
Red Sniper 213
Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by B08MATH Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Red Sniper 213 wrote:I go to high school during the day. I will be a lot boy in the Summer for my grandfather's car dealership. Good first job I think.
I agree.
B08MATH
B08MATH
Century Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:32 pm

What kind of dealership Sniper?
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowflyinmx3 Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:35 pm

I did that as one of my first jobs as well. Worked at a Pontiac/Buick/gmc dealer. The gto had just came out, that was my favorite car to beat on.
Lowflyinmx3
Lowflyinmx3
Club Founder & Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by xraydash Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:48 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:I work with a woman who still owns a house in Florida...

Were they so-called Sovereign Citizens or just squatters?
xraydash
xraydash
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Squatters... They moved out the day before the court ordered eviction was scheduled...
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sniper 213 Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:What kind of dealership Sniper?

Used car dealer. We mostly sell BMWs, seeming that my grandfather, mother, and uncle are all driving 3 series BMWs. But we have Astro vans. We have this insane S2000.
We've seen your mug... now post your job - Page 2 Dsc01110

And we have a 2002 Mustang SVT Cobra. I don't have a picture of that unfortunately. But I just wash cars, take pictures of them and move them around the lot.

We are a BMW people. My Mom has a E36 M3. My Grandfather has a E46 M3. And My uncle has a E46 325i with a performance chip that adds 40hp.
Red Sniper 213
Red Sniper 213
Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Wa11y Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Red Sniper 213 wrote:I go to high school during the day. I will be a lot boy in the Summer for my grandfather's car dealership. Good first job I think.

Good idea. You just gave me an idea. I've heard retired people move cars on lots. It would sure beat being a Walmart greeter or working at McDonalds. Shocked
Wa11y
Wa11y
Century Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wa11y Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:41 pm

marmuttlebow wrote:<P>How 'bout something in the medical field/ rehab?&nbsp; There's a much more active component.&nbsp; But beware, I'm sure you'd have to deal with old folks too.&nbsp; However, at this point, I'm just talking out of my ass.&nbsp;>

Good idea Marm medical rehab would be cool and you can't out source those jobs. I've been through rehab (physical) a few times. They have all kinds of neat toys. So Marm whats the deal about dealing with old folk? I'm AARP eligible now and can order off some restaurants senior menu. I'm not eligible to retire for another couple years. geek
Wa11y
Wa11y
Century Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by marmuttlebow Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Wa11y wrote: So Marm whats the deal about dealing with old folk? I'm AARP eligible now and can order off some restaurants senior menu. I'm not eligible to retire for another couple years. geek

While you're AARP eligible, nothing wrong with it, I'm talkin' 'bout them real old folks. The ones my wife has to deal with (and this is just to take an xray) are a handful. Just stubborn beyond belief. Cranky. Won't listen to nothing. Just overall pains in the ass. These are the ones I'd be scared of dealing with.
marmuttlebow
marmuttlebow
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next