[U2SC] Up 2 Speed Customs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission question

3 posters

Go down

Transmission question Empty Transmission question

Post by SouthernFist7 Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:49 am

I was upgrading a Chevy Stingray the other day, and when i upgraded the stock transmission to a racing transmission with 6 gears, the car had a massive increase in the speed category. Other cars have little to no increase in the speed category when I upgrade the transmission. The only difference I can tell is that the stingray starts with 4 gears, and most of the other cars i've upgraded start with 5 or 6. Why is there such a huge increase for the stingray? Also, the car seems a hell of a lot faster with the new transmission, but I can't tell if it's just louder -

SouthernFist7
SouthernFist7
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Transmission question Empty Re: Transmission question

Post by Insanefrank Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32 am

SouthernFist7 wrote:I was upgrading a Chevy Stingray the other day, and when i upgraded the stock transmission to a racing transmission with 6 gears, the car had a massive increase in the speed category. Other cars have little to no increase in the speed category when I upgrade the transmission. The only difference I can tell is that the stingray starts with 4 gears, and most of the other cars i've upgraded start with 5 or 6. Why is there such a huge increase for the stingray? Also, the car seems a hell of a lot faster with the new transmission, but I can't tell if it's just louder -
The 2 more gears will result into better acceleration and more top speed. This happens to the most cars that start with 4 gears, if the engine has enough power.
Insanefrank
Insanefrank
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthernFist7 Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks Frank,

If a car already has 5 or 6 gears, and the upgrade doesn't show an increase speed, or acceleration, is the only benefit the ability to change all of the gear ratios?

SouthernFist7
SouthernFist7
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Insanefrank Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:39 pm

If it has 5 gears then you built in a 6 speed transmission this will increase acceleration when the gear ratios are adjusted for a special track or to get maximum performance from the engine (for a allround tune).

When the car already has 6 gears then you are right you get only the ability to change the ratios. Some cars have built in 7 speed transmissions (BMW so far i seen this) for this cars the sport transmission can be better on some tracks when the axis ratio is correct adjusted.
Insanefrank
Insanefrank
Forum Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:56 pm

The new Weisman has 7 as well...

The other thing about the transmissions is the potential for additional speed or the theoretical top end... When upgrading to the Sport tranny, you will see a jump because you can now adjust the final drive, so you can increase the top speed... Be careful though. Shift points best matched to shift out of a gear at Max HP and into a gear at max Torque. It doesn't always work out exactly that way, but that is the goal. If you go to far with the fianl drive either way, you'll either bog due to not having the torque or you will shift like mad because the gears are so close together!

With the Race tranny, you have full adjustment. Both Final Drive and the individual gear ratios... That's why I usually upgrade to race on pretty much all my tunes.... It allows you to get the most out on the engine!
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthernFist7 Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Wow I didn't realize that adjusting the final drive number can change the to p speed. Again, Thanks for the help
SouthernFist7
SouthernFist7
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down