[U2SC] Up 2 Speed Customs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanatec Wheel has Arrived!

+7
Vlagra DUH
nubrocket
marmuttlebow
CASH XRS
swviper
Markve91
BiggLou55
11 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Fanatec Wheel has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty Re: Fanatec Wheel has Arrived!

Post by BiggLou55 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:17 am

swviper wrote:Wheel showed up yesterday! Sorry for not jumping in last night gents, but was trying to work out the 'kinks'.

Turning down FFB so far only thing that have had to do, everything else I need more time with. The shifter, I can't tell if I don't like it, or I'm just used to the G27. Regret not buying a stand...have everything affixed to an old end table...which is working, albeit, a tad tight for big feet, and long legs to get to pedals.

Will be on tonight for the series race...I don't think I'll be a danger to anyone (other than my own laptimes, as I'm still 'relearning' how to game with wheel instead of controller)

Make sure that the shifter mounting bars go to the other side and ensure the plastic screws are tight. I will say that the difference between mounting the bars to the wheel as opposed to the optional shifter mount are noticeably better (very much so). It feels rigid and does not "twist" like the wheel mount tends to do. I'm also not using the gated shifter. Seems a bit too slow for fast shifting... once I'm totally adjusted to the wheel, I may give it a go, but for now, the bump shifter is there for when I want to use the clutch...

If you can swing it, I recommend the stand 100%. If you do order the stand, I also recommend picking up an additional pedal stop (the stand comes with one) and the optional shifter mount. They are well worth the extra cash...

BTW... did you get the Std pedals or the Elite pedals?
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

http://bg55.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CASH XRS Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Markve91 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xl-Eit7qw

^^^
If you guys need to update your firmware on the CSR...you'll know you have old csr firmware if the wheel sounds abnormally loud when you connect it to the xbox

Thaaaaaaaat's me lol.
CASH XRS
CASH XRS
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by swviper Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:45 pm

BiggLou55 wrote:
Make sure that the shifter mounting bars go to the other side and ensure the plastic screws are tight. I will say that the difference between mounting the bars to the wheel as opposed to the optional shifter mount are noticeably better (very much so). It feels rigid and does not "twist" like the wheel mount tends to do. I'm also not using the gated shifter. Seems a bit too slow for fast shifting... once I'm totally adjusted to the wheel, I may give it a go, but for now, the bump shifter is there for when I want to use the clutch...

If you can swing it, I recommend the stand 100%. If you do order the stand, I also recommend picking up an additional pedal stop (the stand comes with one) and the optional shifter mount. They are well worth the extra cash...

BTW... did you get the Std pedals or the Elite pedals?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do what you're talking about. I can't even get the shifter all the way on the rods....very odd.

I got the elite pedals...and honestly....there are a few things I miss about the G27...the pedals are not one of them. At some point I'm going to hook up the csr to the pc and give it a try with some of my PC sims to see what it's like in a true g27 to csr comparison.

I've been using the gated shifter so far, am starting to like it. I'm going to keep trying to figure out how to sort out the shifter attachment. Hopefully have some time Sun afternoon to have a look when the inlaws head home.
swviper
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:00 am

It's difficult to figure out, but looses both black plastic screws with at dime. They are located on the front of the wheel housing (the one on the left is just below Xbox connect button). Once fully loosened, you should be able to shove the bars all the way in so the just poke out of the left side of the wheel... The instructions say to get them started, then hold the wheel with the bars pointed to and touching the floor and gently push down on the wheel to slide the bars through. they do not go in easy, but getting them all the way almost eliminates the "torquing" of the bars when you shift... The best way to mount the shifter is to get the optional shifter mount and the stand! Wink That's how I have mine set up and it's solid as a rock..

I'll have to hook up the gated shifter again and give it a go.
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Do most folks here have the CSR? I am in an active and mentally exhausting debate with myself about whether to get the CSR Value XL pack or start with the CSR-E wheel and then add parts as I accumulate the cash for them.

It sounds like the CSR kicks plenty of ass and folks are tickled with it, but those with the CSR-E's say they're worth the extra money (not sure anybody would admit it if they didn't feel that way, though).
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Get the Value XL (wheel and pedals).... If you want the shifters you can add them later, but I really only use the paddles. The shifters are more a novelty... BUT.... You can have the bump shifter and the paddles active at the same time...

If you want to use manual w/ clutch, the 737 CSR firmware has an auto-clutch (ACL) feature. It presses A for you (you have to map the clutch to A) when you hit the paddle. It is the same thing as pressing A+X or A+B on the controller. You can also use the clutch pedal as well with the paddles or bump shifters. the Gated 6-speed shifter is weird and feels nothing like the shifter in a real car (at least not a good one). I use it when goofing off, but rarely.... I also primarily drive in manual mode (w/o clutch)... I like the feel of it better. And I use the paddles for that... I do use manula w/ clutch for drifting and drag racing, as well as with stock street car rivals since the shift times are SOOOOO slow!
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Value XL comes with the shifter also. I prefer to play manual w/ clutch also, I was using the autoclutch update as an example of how support and upgrades seem(ed) to come sooner for the CSR Elite than for the CSR. Knowing now that the CSR did receive that update is a big deal, and I am happy to hear it.

The debate is between the CSR and the CSR Elite. Has anyone here used both?

EDIT: Bah just put in my order. The Elite is on its way and my debt shackles have been securely fastened.
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 am

I am jealous! The elite is very nice... I grabbed the CSR because I also needed the Rensport folding stand... @ $130 US, that made the CSR Wheel + Pedals + Shifters the same price as the Elite Wheel and pedal set....

Hindsight being 20:20, I made the right choice. the Stand is exactly what I needed for my set-up.... If the CSR ever fails me, I will be replacing it with an elite though...
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Markve91 Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:17 am

The difference between the two I believe is that the FF on the Elite is better because of it running 2 FF motors as opposed to the regular CSR's one. I'd love to hear about the difference between having 2 versus 1 motor...but sadly I dont know of anyone with both!
Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:16 am

BiggLou55 wrote:I am jealous! The elite is very nice... I grabbed the CSR because I also needed the Rensport folding stand... @ $130 US, that made the CSR Wheel + Pedals + Shifters the same price as the Elite Wheel and pedal set....

Hindsight being 20:20, I made the right choice. the Stand is exactly what I needed for my set-up.... If the CSR ever fails me, I will be replacing it with an elite though...

That's what has me a bit nervous. The CSR is undoubtedly the right choice -- it'll deliver more than you even want, it's solid, and it looks awesome. I have yet to find anyone with a CSR that isn't tickled pink with it (and I've been asking around on forums for awhile). Nothing to lose.

The Elite has potential regret since it's so damn expensive. I hope (and expect) that it'll last for years, be compatible with the 720, and knock my socks off with fun. The wife has given her blessing to turn the home office into a man cave of sorts, so I'll be setting up my rig as a desk mount. It'll look like a PC rig but powered by the 360 instead of a desktop. With her blessing to do that AND buy the hardware I need...I felt like I had to go whole hog and do something stupid. I can't wait till it gets here.

I got the Elite Wheel, Elite Pedals, Table Mount, and Shifter set. I was tempted to get the new Clubsport pedals but decided "enough is enough". I also think you can't invert them if you wanted to and frankly I have no idea if or why I'd want to do that.
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Markve91 Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:47 am

I hear the clubsports pedals are the better compared to the CSR elites but only by a bit. I love the elites, I wish I could invert my brake and clutch but I can't justify spending money just to do that when it works perfectly fine now.

As for the Wheel, I'm hoping it's compatible with the next gen consoles too...Regardless it's been a ton of fun to use on Forza (although I don't use it during official series races for fear of crashing into everyone).

From what I've heard from CSR Elite owners though, it sounds liek its definitely worth the money if you have t he money to spend. You gotta give us some feedback when you get it nub!
Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Markve91 wrote:Regardless it's been a ton of fun to use on Forza (although I don't use it during official series races for fear of crashing into everyone).

Elaborate? I understand that moving from a controller to a wheel takes some time to get used to, but once transitioned wouldn't the wheel be preferable? I've noticed that when I use the wireless speed wheel I seem to lose all my recovery power -- meaning, if I screw up even a little bit, I'm done. Is this the sort of thing you're talking about? It's frustrating for sure, and it makes me drive waaay more conservatively, but perhaps all of that is more true to life than the catch-all magicalness of the controller.
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Markve91 Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:59 pm

nubrocket wrote:
Markve91 wrote:Regardless it's been a ton of fun to use on Forza (although I don't use it during official series races for fear of crashing into everyone).

Elaborate? I understand that moving from a controller to a wheel takes some time to get used to, but once transitioned wouldn't the wheel be preferable? I've noticed that when I use the wireless speed wheel I seem to lose all my recovery power -- meaning, if I screw up even a little bit, I'm done. Is this the sort of thing you're talking about? It's frustrating for sure, and it makes me drive waaay more conservatively, but perhaps all of that is more true to life than the catch-all magicalness of the controller.

yep exactly what I'm talking about. With the controller I can go from lock to lock with a simple flick of the stick (heh) but with the wheel it takes more effort and I'm still not 100% used to it. What I've been doing with the wheel in the event list races is purposely powersliding my car so I can learn to correct and what not. There's a noticeable difference when I use the wheel, you guys wont see me up front Razz, but I'll be having a ton of fun in the back!

Don't take this as I'm trying to scare youaway from the wheel, no not at all. Some people are faster with the wheel, some are faster with the controller. I'm been playing driving games with a controller all my life so naturally that's what I'm used to. And there are a ton of people who get the wheel and their lap times drop considerably after a week or 2 of practicing and getting used to it
Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Don't stress about the transition... I went to the wheel 100% once it arrived and I've never looked back... It'll take a week or two to get the hang of it, but we can help you through it... SWViper, Cash and I use the CSR exculively, and I am much better with the wheel over the controller. I can still race with the controller, but it's 200% more fun with the wheel. Honestly... Even if I was slower with the wheel, I wouldn't care. The wheel is just that much more fun...

Those of use that have a Fanatec set-up will be happy to help you through the transition! Just remember to keep steering set to NORMAL in-game. Sim steering just doesn't work or feel right. I think there is a thread somewhere on the boards here where we discuss settings. All I can tell your is that 100% Forcefeedback will rip your arms off... Set it to 50% and go from there.... Very Happy
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:10 pm

I've found some of those posts and made note of y'all suggestions. It's good info to have lying around because...man...it is WAY more complicated than one would think it should be.

I've been using simulation mode on the controller for months and have come to love it. I am surprised that it wrecks the wheel experience, I'd assume the opposite.
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Try it... It may work for you... I found it to be WAY too sensitive for me (as others have found). Normal works really well with the CSR wheels.
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Markve91 Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Sim steering is waaaay twitchy on the wheel. Really hard to correct. Same as on the controller, I find once I lose the back end with sim steering on the controller it's gone. But you should just try whatever and see what works for you. It'll be much more of an immersive experience regardless.
Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlagra DUH Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Lou, how much was your whole setup?

Im thinking of buying the CSR Standard Wheel + RennSport Wheel Stand + CSR Pedals.

Anything else i should buy, or am i heading in the wrong direction?

I want something that will work with the 360 obviously, now and future.
Vlagra DUH
Vlagra DUH
Junior Forum Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by swviper Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Nub, I was on Sim steering on the controller. Figured same thing would work with wheel, but like Lou, and Mark point out...it's just 'different' with the wheel...normal definitely feels better.

My 'adjustment' to the wheel was pretty short. I came from PC racing sims, and had been using a G27 in games like rFactor, GTR2, and the RACE series. That said, if you have any exp with the Logitech product...this is WAAAAY better.
swviper
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Back to top Go down

Post by beefsupreme42 Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Markve91 wrote:Sim steering is waaaay twitchy on the wheel. Really hard to correct. Same as on the controller, I find once I lose the back end with sim steering on the controller it's gone. But you should just try whatever and see what works for you. It'll be much more of an immersive experience regardless.
back when the hockenheim R2 class track day rivals event was the bounty hunter, I tried simulation steering and I could not drive with it, its wayyy too twitchy. on the lower class cars, especially the front wheel drive ones, it seems to help a lot
beefsupreme42
beefsupreme42
I-AM-SPAMMER (Lou's Elite!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Markve91 Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:46 am

beefsupreme42 wrote:
Markve91 wrote:Sim steering is waaaay twitchy on the wheel. Really hard to correct. Same as on the controller, I find once I lose the back end with sim steering on the controller it's gone. But you should just try whatever and see what works for you. It'll be much more of an immersive experience regardless.
back when the hockenheim R2 class track day rivals event was the bounty hunter, I tried simulation steering and I could not drive with it, its wayyy too twitchy. on the lower class cars, especially the front wheel drive ones, it seems to help a lot

Yeah I find it really helps with the understeer in the FWD lower class cars... but it takes more precision not to lose the back end
Markve91
Markve91
I AM THE STIG!

Back to top Go down

Post by BiggLou55 Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 am

@ Viagra - The CSR Value Pack is $250 (Wheel and Pedals) and the stand is $130. If you want the shifters and CSR Elite Pedals (load cell brake as opposed to the standard poteniometer one on the stand CSR pedals), the CSR Value Pack XL is the pick at $360 + $130 for the stand.

http://www.fanatec.de/

What I ordered and am VERY happy with.
CSR Value Pack $250
Rensport Stand $130
Shifter Set $60
Shifter mounting plate $20
Extra Pedal Stop $15

If I had to do it over again, I might go with the Value Pack XL. For an extra $50 ($110 - the $60 I spent on the shifters) I would get the Elite pedals with the load cell brake. But I've heard that takes more time to transition to over the standard poteniometer brake I have now.

If you have a table or somewhere to mount the wheel, you can skip the stand, but it's well worth the $130. I've seen other stands that go for around $100 that don't look like they'd be half as strong and are non-adjustable.
BiggLou55
BiggLou55
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swviper Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:51 pm

I have the elite pedals with the load cell, and I much prefer them to the standard pedal (like on the G27). They feel more like real brakes in a car....granted it DOES take a little bit to get them dialed in to where they feel 'right' and not uber sensitive
swviper
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Back to top Go down

Post by nubrocket Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am

Finished my setup last night and...holy damn it using a ffb wheel is SO MUCH FUN. Y'all were right, using a wheel changes everything. I feel like I can get more out of the cars now because I have much better information on how much they can take. I can feel when my front wheels have lost traction, my lines are better, and I'm having more fun.

That said, there's still no "little screw up". If I do something wrong the car INSISTS on ending up backwards on the track. Aggravating, but I'm getting the hang of it.

Including a low quality and embarrassing picture of my setup and I, using the recently cleaned portion of my home office desk. The weakest link is the monitor, but honestly when the game has started I am so sucked into that I don't even notice. I'll wait until I have an entire spare room to play with before I seriously consider upgrades. I am also unsure if the unsecured pedals are a problem yet. There's been a little bit of movement, but nothing dire (yet).

Fanatec Wheel has Arrived! - Page 2 Odksz
nubrocket
nubrocket
Club Co-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by swviper Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 am

Nice! I had pedal movement issues, which I resolved (and from looks of pic would work for you) by just cutting down a 2x4 to sit between pedal base and wall/immovable object behind base.
swviper
swviper
- Vigo the Carpathian -

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next